Spiced chickpea burgers
Makes 6 | prep 15 | total time
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and halved
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 x 410g tin chickpeas, drained
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp harissa, plus extra to serve
- 1 large carrot (about 100g), coarsely grated
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 x 31g pack coriander, leaves only
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 pitta breads, warmed, to serve
- 200ml thick Greek yogurt, to serve
Make up to the end of step 1 up to a day ahead, cover and chill or freeze.
- Place the spring onions, lemon zest and drained chickpeas in a food processor and blitz until you have a coarse-textured mixture that resembles breadcrumbs. Add the fresh breadcrumbs, harissa, grated carrot, egg, coriander leaves and a pinch of salt. Blitz again until you have a fairly smooth mixture. Shape the mixture into 6 burgers and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or until ready to barbecue.
- Brush each of the burgers with a little olive oil and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden. Serve with warmed pittas, yogurt and extra harissa.