Singapore-style prawn laksa
Serves 4 | prep 30 mins | total time
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 750ml hot chicken stock
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 3 nests (175g) dried rice noodles
- 1 x 600g bag frozen raw shell-on jumbo king prawns, defrosted and peeled (see Kitchen Secret)
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 x 225g tin sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 100g fresh beansprouts
- 5cm piece cucumber, deseeded and cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 spring onions, trimmed, halved and finely shredded
- 1 x 31g pack coriander, leaves only
- 1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
- lime wedges, to serve
For the curry paste
- 3 large dried red chillies, deseeded (we used Schwartz)
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded
- 1 tsp Thai shrimp paste (we used Seasoned Pioneers)
- 2 lemongrass stalks, core chopped
- 15g unsalted cashew nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 25g piece peeled root ginger, roughly chopped
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 75g shallots, roughly chopped
- 1½ tbsp sunflower oil
Make the paste up to 2 days ahead; chill.
- For the curry paste, cover the dried chillies in hot water and leave to soak for 30 minutes or until soft; drain well. In a mini food processor, blend all the curry paste ingredients to a smooth paste, adding a tiny splash of water to get the mixture moving if necessary. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil for the noodles.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large nonstick pan, add the curry paste and fry gently for 3 minutes, stirring, until fragrant. Add the coconut milk, stock and sugar, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drop the noodles into the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes; drain.
Tip For a deeper-flavoured stock, fry the heads and shells of the prawns in a little oil, then add the chicken stock, cover and simmer for 30 minutes; strain before using.
- Add the prawns, fish sauce and bamboo shoots to the laksa; simmer for 3-4 minutes until the prawns are cooked. Season with salt if necessary.
- Divide the noodles between 4 deep bowls, ladle over the laksa and garnish with the beansprouts, cucumber, spring onions, coriander and sliced chilli. Serve with the lime wedges.