Pan-fried gnocchi with watercress-mint pesto
Serves 2 | total time
- a large handful of mint leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 75ml olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 4 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 x 110g bag baby leaf watercress
- 50g vegetarian hard sheep’s or goats’ cheese (we used Parlick Fell hard sheep’s cheese), finely grated
- 1 x 500g pack fresh gnocchi
- 100g fine green beans, halved
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- First make the pesto by putting the mint, garlic, olive oil, 2 tablespoons of the pine nuts and two-thirds of the watercress in a food processor; blitz to combine. Stir in the cheese and season.
- Heat a large frying pan with a splash of olive oil, add the gnocchi and toss gently over a medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes until lightly golden. Meanwhile, cook the beans in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes until just tender; drain.
- Add the pesto to the gnocchi and toss together. Gently stir in the beans and tomatoes. Take the pan off the heat and add the remaining watercress. Divide between 2 plates and scatter over the rest of the pine nuts to serve.