Mozzarella in carrozza
Serves 4 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 100g chargrilled pepper antipasto from a jar, drained and chopped
- a large handful of basil leaves, torn
- 25g pitted black olives, drained and chopped
- 150g vegetarian mozzarella, drained and cut into 8 slices
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 4 medium eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil, for frying
Prepare the sandwiches to the end of step 3 a few hours ahead, cover and chill.
- Put the chargrilled peppers, basil and pitted olives in a bowl, and mix well.
- Dry the mozzarella on kitchen paper then divide it between four slices of bread. Spoon the pepper mixture over the mozzarella.
- Season with a little salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Top each with the remaining slices and press the edges of the bread together very well to seal the sandwich.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl then dip the sandwiches in to completely coat them. Allow them to soak up some of the egg mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium heat and fry 2 sandwiches at a time, for 3-4 minutes each side or until crisp and golden all over. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.