Our team of trained chefs and skilled food writers love cooking up everything from innovative seasonal recipes or clever shortcuts, to step-by-step guides and classic recipes for friends and readers alike.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 8 chicken thighs (bone-in), skin removed
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 200g pack baby leaf spinach
Step by step
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and add the onion, cumin seeds, garlic and ginger. Fry gently for 4 minutes, until slightly softened, then add the chicken.
- Fry the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side, stirring the onion occasionally. Add the tomatoes, harissa paste, honey and 150ml water. Stir in the chickpeas. Cover and simmer gently for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the lid, stir in the spinach and season to taste. Increase the heat and simmer vigorously until the spinach has wilted and the sauce has reduced slightly. Serve with couscous, if you like.