Serves 4 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 skin-on and bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 onions, halved and cut into wedges
- 1 x 500g pack baby Chantenay carrots, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ tbsp harissa spice mix (from a jar)
- 3-4 preserved lemons, drained and sliced
- 3 tbsp pitted green olives
- 500ml chicken stock
Make the day before; cool, cover and chill. It can also be frozen
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Heat the oil in a casserole and brown the chicken in batches.
- Soften the onion and carrots in the casserole for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the spice mix. Return the chicken to the pan, putting it on top of the vegetables, skin-side up. Add the preserved lemons and olives, then pour over the stock. Bring to the boil. Cover and cook in the oven for about 45 minutes until the chicken thighs are cooked through. Check the seasoning and serve.
Tip This is great with harissa and lemon couscous. In a bowl, pour 250ml hot chicken stock over 200g couscous, add 1 tsp harissa spice mix, the zest and juice of ½ lemon, a knob of butter and plenty of black pepper. Cover with clingfilm and set aside for 10 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and season. Serves 4