Lentil and vegetable minestrone
Serves 4 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced small
- 1 celery stick, diced small
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 700ml hot reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 x 400g tin pomodorini cherry tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin green lentils, drained and well-rinsed
- 100g cabbage or kale, any tough stalks removed, shredded
To serve (optional)
- a few Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative) shavings
- a few basil leaves
- a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
Make up to 2 days ahead, cool and chill. Gently reheat until piping hot, adding a little more water if necessary. Freeze (without the cabbage/kale) for up to 1 month.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or heavy-based pan. Add the onion, carrot and celery; cover and cook gently for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the rosemary, bay leaf, stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove the rosemary and bay leaf.
- Add the lentils and cabbage or kale; simmer for 5 minutes until the veg is tender. Season. Serve in bowls with Parmesan shavings, basil leaves and a drizzle of oil, if you like.