Lamb, squash and date tagine
Recipe photograph by Martin Poole
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 411g pack diced lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout spice mix
- 100g pitted dates, halved
- 1 x 320g pack ready prepared butternut squash and sweet potato
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml hot lamb or chicken stock
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
Step by step
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy-based casserole. Brown the lamb over a high heat; put on a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ras el hanout and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
Return the lamb to the pan; add the dates, squash and sweet potato, cinnamon stick, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil; reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, stir in the chickpeas and simmer for 15 minutes until the lamb is tender.TipServe with couscous – add 250ml just-boiled water to 200g couscous, season, add a knob of butter, cover; set aside for 10 minutes. Stir in chopped nuts, pomegranate seeds and fresh mint and coriander
- Serve with couscous, a spoonful of natural yogurt and a sprinkling of coriander.