Dukkah sweet potato and spinach dhal
Photograph by Ria Osborne
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 300g), peeled
- 250g red lentils
- 1.2 litres hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp dukkah spices (from a 60g tub)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 25g piece of root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 x 200g bag baby leaf spinach
Step by step
- Cut the sweet potato into 2cm cubes. Put the sweet potato, lentils and stock in a large pan, bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, toast the spices in a dry frying pan for 2 minutes, transfer three quarters to a pestle and mortar and grind to a powder, transfer the rest to a bowl. Set aside. Add the oil to the frying pan; add the onion. Cook for 15 minutes until soft, then stir in the garlic, ginger, chilli and ground spices.
- Stir the spiced onions into the lentils and, over a low heat, add the spinach a handful at a time, stirring until wilted; season.
- Serve the dhal in bowls, with a dollop of yogurt, coriander and mango chutney. Sprinkle over the reserved spices and chilli.