Chicken tikka kebabs
Serves 4 | prep 25 mins | total time
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
For the tikka marinade:
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp ground fenugreek
- 1½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 20g piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 5 tbsp natural yogurt
- sliced red onion and tomato, coriander leaves, cucumber raita, lime wedges
Marinate the chicken a day ahead, cover and chill.
- Put the cumin and coriander seeds, cloves and peppercorns in a dry frying pan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes, until toasted. Tip into a spice grinder or use a pestle and mortar.
- Add the fenugreek, turmeric, paprika, chilli powder, cinnamon and salt to the spices and grind them into a fine powder. Tip into a mixing bowl; stir in the garlic, ginger and yogurt. Mix and set aside. Cut each chicken breast into 7 or 8 bite-sized pieces. Stir them into the spiced yogurt; cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the barbecue. Take the chicken pieces out of the fridge and thread them on to 8 long metal skewers. You should be able to fit about 5 chunks of chicken on each skewer. Cook the chicken for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and lightly charred.
Tip This is a great prep-ahead dish and is delicious cold too – perfect for a picnic.
- Use a fork to slide the chicken tikka chunks off the skewers and serve with sliced red onion, tomato and coriander, cucumber raita and lime wedges to squeeze over.