Chicken and chorizo gumbo
Serves 4 | total time
- 1 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
- 1 x 615g pack chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 1 x 250g pack 12 mini cooking chorizo, cut into quarters
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 mixed peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 x 195g jar Creative Cook’s New Orleans gumbo paste (find it in the spice aisle)
- ½ x 28g pack flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- cooked brown rice, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large casserole. Brown the chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes (if you don't have a wide pan, you may need to do this in batches). Remove to a plate. Discard most of the oil. Add the chorizo and fry for 2-3 minutes, until golden and releasing some oil. Add to the plate with the chicken. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Add the onion, peppers, garlic and thyme, cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, remove the lid, stir in the gumbo paste and cook uncovered, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
- Return the chicken and chorizo to the pan, add 500ml just- boiled water; stir well. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat; simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has reduced.
- Stir through the parsley and season. Serve with brown rice.