Cajun spiced salmon salad
Serves 4 as a main course | total time
- 3 tbsp sweet smoked paprika (we used La Chinata)
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 4 x salmon fillets (about 150g each)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 romaine lettuce heart
- 1 red onion
- 1 cucumber
- ½ x 28g pack mint, leaves torn
- 1 x 31g pack coriander, leaves torn
- 1 x 100g pack baby leaf Italian-style salad leaves
- juice of 3 limes (4 tbsp)
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ripe peaches or nectarines
You can cook the salmon a few hours ahead; once cool, store chilled in the fridge. Assemble and dress the salad up to 30 minutes ahead.
- Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat. Mix together the paprika and garlic granules, with some salt and pepper. Liberally coat the salmon in the sunflower oil, then press the spice mixture into the salmon, making sure the flesh is thickly coated. Place flesh-side down on the hot griddle pan, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4-5 minutes or until it is well coloured – it will create a lot of smoke – then turn over and cook skin-side down for a further 4-5 minutes until just cooked. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- While the fish is cooling, prepare the salad ingredients – keeping each separate. Wash and slice the romaine leaves and finely slice the red onion into rings; peel, halve and finely slice the cucumber. Then mix the torn mint and coriander with the baby salad leaves.
- In a small bowl or jug, whisk together 2 tablespoons lime juice and 4 tablespoons olive oil. Season to taste.
- Shortly before serving, quarter, stone and slice the peaches or nectarines. Peel the skin from the cooked salmon and remove the grey fat, before breaking the flesh into large chunks, then drizzle with the remaining lime juice.
- To assemble the salad, put the sliced romaine leaves at the bottom of your salad bowl. Arrange the salmon chunks on top, then cover these with the sliced peaches or nectarines, before scattering the baby salad leaves on top, followed by a layer of cucumber and then the red onion rings. To serve, dress the salad with the lime dressing.