Makes 2.5 litres cordial, to dilute | prep 15 mins | total time
- 6 lemons, ideally unwaxed
- 1kg granulated sugar
- 50g citric acid
- 5 ltr of sparkling water, chilled
- lemon slices
- mint sprigs
If stored in sterilised bottles in the fridge, the lemonade will last for at least 2 weeks.
- Wash the lemons, then thinly slice them and put the slices into a large bowl with the sugar and citric acid.
- Pour on 2 litres of boiling water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Cover and then leave in a cool place overnight (you can transfer it to the fridge once it is cold).
- The next day, strain the lemonade through a sieve and discard the lemon slices, then pour the lemonade into sterilised bottles and store them in the fridge.
- To serve, dilute 1 part lemonade to 2 parts chilled sparkling water in a tall tumbler. Add plenty of ice, lemon slices and mint sprigs.