Kiwi and salted caramel mini pavlovas
Prep time: 25 mins
Recipe photograph by Mike English
Underrated kiwis get to shine in these more-ish puds – ideal for prepping ahead
Prep time: 25 mins
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
For the pavlova
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 large egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
For the crème fraîche Chantilly
- ½ vanilla pod (or ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or extract)
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 150ml double cream
- 100g Taste the Difference full fat crème fraîche
- 2 golden kiwi fruit
- 2 kiwi fruit
- 4 tbsp salted caramel sauce, warmed until runny
Step by step
The pavlovas can be made several days ahead and kept in an airtight container, or frozen.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C, fan 120°C, gas 1. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the cornflour and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk up the egg whites to stiff peaks in a large mixing bowl then gradually add the sugar in a steady stream, whisking all the while until thick and glossy. Then whisk in the cornflour mixture. Spoon the meringue onto the lined tray, forming 4 round nests, each about 10-12 cm in diameter and ensuring they are well-spaced apart. Place in the oven and immediately turn it down to 120°C, fan 100°C, gas 1⁄2. Bake for 1 hour, or until they peel away easily from the lining paper. Leave to cool in the turned-off oven.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Put in a mixing bowl with the icing sugar, cinnamon and cream. Whip to soft peaks, then mix in the crème fraîche. The Chantilly should be thick enough to spoon, but not over-whipped. Cover and chill until ready to assemble.
- When ready to serve, peel the kiwis and chop roughly. Spoon some of the crème fraîche Chantilly onto each mini pavlova, top with the kiwi then drizzle with salted caramel sauce.