Glazed strawberry and lime tart
- 500g all-butter puff pastry block (we used Taste the Difference)
- a dusting of plain flour, for rolling out
- 1 medium egg yolk, beaten
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- ½ x 340g jar Taste the Difference strawberry conserve
- 250g mascarpone
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 3 tbsp icing sugar, sieved
- 400g strawberries
Step by step
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a long rectangle, trim to a neat 18cm x 40cm, then transfer to a large baking tray. Lightly score a 1cm border around the edge, and brush the border with a little beaten egg yolk. Prick the centre section all over with a fork to stop it puffing up as it bakes. Chill for 30 minutes until firm. Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5.
- Brush the border with more of the egg yolk. Bake the pastry for 35 minutes; press the centre down halfway through if it starts rising up too much. For crisp pastry, return it to the oven on a rack set in a grill pan and bake for a further 5-10 minutes until golden. Either way, cool completely on a wire rack.
- Finely grate the zest from the lime; set aside. Squeeze the lime juice; pour into a small pan with the strawberry conserve. Heat gently, stirring, until starting to bubble; push through a sieve into a bowl to remove the seeds and large pieces of fruit. Set aside to cool to room temperature; it will start to thicken.
- Beat half the lime zest with the mascarpone, elderflower cordial and icing sugar. Spread over the tart base, inside the border. Hull and halve the strawberries and arrange in neat rows along the tart. Brush the glaze all over the strawberries. Just before serving, sprinkle with the reserved lime zest.