Figgy pudding trifle
Serves 8 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 250g dried figs, chopped
- 3 tbsp sultanas
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 4 tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- a pinch of ground allspice
- 8 trifle sponges
- 500g fresh custard
- candied lemon peel and coloured sugar, to decorate
For the syllabub:
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50ml sweet dessert wine (such as Muscat De St Jean De Minervois)
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 300ml double cream, chilled
Prepare up to the end of step 5 a few hours before serving; keep the trifle chilled.
- For the syllabub, tip the sugar, lemon zest and juice, sweet dessert wine and brandy into a small bowl, stir and set aside.
- Mix the figs, sultanas, raisins, half the brandy, the sugar and the allspice in a bowl.
- Toss the trifle sponges, halved, in with the remaining brandy in the bottom of a trifle bowl.
- Top with the fig mixture, followed by the custard.
- Pour the double cream into the lemon mixture and whip together until thickened; pile on top of the trifle. Chill.
- Top with candied lemon peel and coloured sugar.