Cheat’s Christmas cranberry trifle
Serves 10 | prep 20 mins |
- 400g fresh or frozen cranberries
- juice and zest of 1 small orange
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 x 180g packs soft amaretti
- 5-6 tbsp Marsala or sweet sherry
- 3-4 tbsp cherries and berries conserve
- 1 x 250g tub mascarpone
- 1 x 500g tub Madagascan vanilla custard
- 300ml double cream
- 4 florentines
- 50g glacé cherries
- 1 x tube of edible silver balls
Make up to the end of step 2 a day ahead or up to the end of step 3 a few hours ahead; chill
- Tip the cranberries into a medium-size saucepan with the orange juice and zest and the caster sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring, then simmer rapidly, uncovered, for 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool.
- Put the amaretti into a trifle bowl, drizzle with the Marsala or sweet sherry. Spoon the cherries and berries conserve on top, followed by the cool cranberries.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat together the mascarpone and Madacascan vanilla custard until smooth. Spoon the custard and mascarpone mixture on top of the cranberries. Whip the cream and spoon on top of the custard.
- Break the florentines into smallish pieces and scatter on top of the trifle. Slice the glacé cherries into slivers and scatter those on top, along with a few edible gold balls, to decorate the trifle.