Boozy summer fruit
Serves 8 |
Boozy summer fruitSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
For an easy dessert, serve this boozy summer fruit recipe with vanilla ice cream
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 125g caster sugar
- 300-350ml dark rum
- 200g cherries
- 3 nectarines
- 6 apricots
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Whisk the caster sugar with 250ml of the dark rum in a jug. Pour into a 1-litre Kilner-style jar.
- Remove the stalks from the cherries but leave the pits in. Quarter or thickly slice the nectarines and halve the apricots, discarding the stones.
- Add the cherries, nectarines, apricots, vanilla pod and the cinnamon sticks to the jar. Top up with the remaining rum, start with 50ml, and use enough to cover the fruit.
Tip You will need a 1-litre Kilner-style jar
- Seal the lid and leave the fruit to macerate for a couple of days, giving the jar a shake each day to redistribute the flavourings.
- Serve the macerated fruit with a little of the spiced rum and a scoop of ice cream. You can also enjoy the spiced rum as a fruity drink by serving it over ice. The fruit will keep in the jar for at least a week – it may discolour slightly but will still taste delicious. Once you have eaten the fruit, you can top up the jar with more.