Berry baked meringue
Serves 4 | total time
- 1 x 400g bag frozen blueberries and strawberries
- 1 x 400g punnet plums, quartered and stoned
- juice and zest of 1⁄2 a small lemon
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 100g caster sugar
For the meringue
- 3 medium egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Mix together all the fruit in a 2-litre baking dish and pour over the lemon juice. Combine the cornflour with the sugar and lemon zest, and stir into the fruit.
- Bake the fruit in the oven (on the lower shelf of the oven at the same time as the pork, if you are cooking the whole meal – see step 5 on page 135) for 25-30 minutes until bubbling. Remove the fruit and the pork (if cooking the whole menu) from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 170°C, fan 150°C, gas 3.
- After your main course, make the meringue topping. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to medium-stiff peaks. Whisk in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, to form a stiff and glossy meringue. Drop spoonfuls of the meringue mixture over the top of the fruity mixture and spread lightly using the back of a spoon – the fruit shouldn't be completely covered – then lightly swirl with the tip of a knife. Bake for 15 minutes until the meringue is lightly brown and the berry mixture is bubbling hot.
Tip Autumnal blackberries can be swapped for the frozen berries – reduce the initial cooking time by 10 minutes for fresh berries