Basil and lemon summer berry salad
Serves 4 | total time
- finely pared zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 basil sprigs, plus a few extra leaves
- 110g granulated sugar
- 2 ripe peaches or nectarines, stoned
- 300g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 x 150g punnet redcurrants, stripped from the stems
- 300g raspberries
- 125g blueberries
Make a few hours before serving and leave at room temperature.
- Put the pared lemon zest in a small pan with the basil, 150ml water and the sugar. Dissolve the sugar over a low heat, then simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon juice. Set aside for about 20 minutes to cool slightly.
- Quarter each peach or nectarine, cut into slices and put in a pretty bowl. Mix in the strawberries, redcurrants, raspberries and blueberries. Pour the warm syrup through a sieve over the fruit; remove and discard the basil and save the lemon zest. Mix thoroughly; don't chill as this reduces the fragrance of the basil.
- Finely slice some of the softened lemon zest into thin matchsticks. When you're ready to serve, scatter the fruit with the zest and a few fresh basil leaves.