Tangy quick prawn curry
Serves 4 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 2–3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8–10 fresh curry leaves or 20 dried curry leaves
- 3 fat garlic cloves, grated
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped or blended
- 4 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée, or to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp roasted ground cumin
- 500g raw king prawns, shelled and deveined
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche, or single cream
- large handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and cover with a lid, once the popping subsides, add the curry leaves. Follow quickly with the garlic and cook for one minute, or until the garlic smells cooked.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, ground spices and some salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the masala has released oil on the base of the pan.
- Add the prawns, crème fraîche and a good splash of water and simmer until the prawns are cooked through, a matter of three to four minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, stir in the coriander and serve hot.
How to plate up curry