Spiced tree biscuits
Makes 20-24 | prep 10 mins | total time
For the biscuits
- 225g soft butter
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 large egg
- 350g plain flour, sifted, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g icing sugar
- 4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- silver baubles and multicoloured sprinkles
Chill the dough, wrapped in clingfilm, or freeze ready to defrost and bake. Store the biscuits in an airtight container
- In a food mixer, mix the butter, sugar and honey for a few minutes until pale and creamy. Add the egg and blend until combined. Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and the spices, and mix until it forms a dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Divide in two. Roll out each piece of dough between two sheets of baking paper to about ½cm thick; chill for at least 1 hour until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. Line baking sheets with nonstick baking paper. Using all the dough, use cutters to stamp out festive shapes.
- Bake on the trays, in batches if necessary, for 10-12 minutes until golden; cool on a wire rack. As they are cooling, use a skewer to make a hole in each biscuit for threading through ribbon for hanging.
- When the biscuits have cooled completely, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice to make a runny icing. Pipe or drizzle the icing on to the biscuits to decorate. Finish with silver baubles or multicoloured sprinkles and leave to set. Thread ribbons through the holes.