Honey bunny biscuits
Makes 12 | prep 1 hr 20 mins | total time
- 75g butter, softened
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 25g caster sugar
- 125g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 25g cornflour
- 3-4 tbsp apricot jam
- a little icing sugar, for dusting
- 1 x 250g pack blue ready-to-roll icing
- 150g white ready-to-roll icing
- multicoloured confetti cake decorations, for the eyes
- red and pink heart confetti cake decorations, for the nose
- edible pink food powder or dust, or pink glimmer sugar for the ear blush
- black food colouring, for the whiskers
The uniced biscuits keep for 4-5 days in a biscuit tin, or 2 days once iced. They also freeze well.
- Beat the butter, honey and sugar together until pale and creamy, then beat in the flour and cornflour until the mixture forms a dough. Wrap in clingfilm, flatten into a rectangle, then chill for 30 minutes until firm. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Lightly flour the work surface, then roll the dough out to about 2-3mm thick.
- Using an 8cm plain round cutter, cut out 6 circles and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Reroll the rest of the dough to a rectangle 10 x 30cm and cut 6 rectangles 10 x 5cm (make a cardboard template if this is easier). Put on the baking tray and bake all the biscuits for 8-10 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust the work surface with icing sugar. Roll out the blue icing very thinly, cut out circles and rectangles in the same sizes as the biscuits (use a fluted cutter if you wish) and press gently onto the jammy top of each biscuit. Roll out a third of the white icing and cut 12 circles with a plain 4cm biscuit cutter. Use the 8cm cutter to trim a little off the base of 6 discs (so that the curve matches the biscuit shape) to form the bunny faces, and cut a straight line for the remaining discs for the rectangular biscuits. Brush the underside of each disc with a very slightly damp clean paintbrush, and stick the dampened side onto the iced biscuits.
- Roll out the rest of the white icing and cut out 6 x 4cm circles. Cut a 1.5cm-wide strip from either side of each circle, to form a pair of ears. Place on each round biscuit, dampening the underside first. To make the larger ears for the rectangular bunnies, cut out 6 more circles with a 5-6cm round cutter (rerolling the icing as necessary) and use in the same way.
- Use a little water to stick on cake decorations for the eyes and nose (applied using a clean artist’s fine paintbrush). Dab a little edible dust down the centre of the ears using your fingertip, or if you’re using the glimmer sugar, brush the centre of the ears with a little water then shake on some glimmer sugar. Paint the whiskers on with black food colouring, using a very fine brush.