Easter bonnet biscuits
Makes 12 | prep 45 mins | total time
- 150g (5oz) plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) cold salted butter, cubed
- finely grated zest, 1 lemon
- 1 large egg, separated
For the bonnets
- 12 marshmallows
- 1 tbsp apricot jam, warmed
- juice 1 lemon
- 350g (12oz) icing sugar, sifted
- a few drops of yellow food colouring (optional)
- a few drops of pink food colouring (optional)
- 1 x pack small edible or sugar flowers, to decorate
You will also need
- 2 greased baking sheets
- a 7.5cm (3 in) plain cutter
- narrow coloured ribbons
The biscuits can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept in an airtight container, but are best decorated on the day they're to be eaten. Can be frozen (biscuit dough only).
- Put the flour, icing sugar, butter and lemon zest into a food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. Alternatively you can rub the mixture in a bowl by hand.
- Add the egg yolk to the flour mixture. In a small bowl, loosen the egg white with a fork and add half to the mixture. Briefly whiz or stir the mixture together until it forms a ball, adding the remaining egg white if necessary. Pop into a plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight, if you prefer).
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gags 6. Remove the dough from the bag, flatten slightly, then roll out on a lightly floured surface to 3-4mm thick. Using the cutter, stamp out as many biscuits as you can, placing each one carefully on the baking sheets as you go, leaving at least a 2.5cm gap between them.
- Gather the scraps of dough together and droll out again to use it all up. Using a fork, prick the top of each biscuit a couple of times and then bake for 8-10 minutes or until they are a light golden colour, swapping the trays halfway so the biscuits cook evenly. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To decorate, slightly flatten each marshmallow, spread a little jam on the underside of each and sit one slightly off centre on each biscuit. In a bowl, stir the lemon juice into the icing sugar, mixing to a smooth, slightly runny consistency (add more icing sugar or water if needed). Stir in a few drops of food colouring, if using.
- Place some baking parchment underneath the wire rack and spoon the icing over the biscuits to coat them, then leave to set. When set, tie ribbon around the bonnets and decorate with sugar or artificial flowers.