Cheesy flaxseed and carrot muffins
Makes 12 | total time
- 50ml rapeseed oil (or vegetable oil), plus extra for greasing
- 200g plain flour
- 25g ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 x 100g pack seed mix
- 200g carrots, coarsely grated
- 150g mature vegetarian cheddar, coarsely grated
- 1 large egg
- 200ml milk
- 150g cream cheese
The muffins are best on the day of baking, but will keep for 1-2 days in an airtight container, or can be frozen for up to a month. Warm briefly in the microwave.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Brush a 12-hole muffin tin well with oil.
- Mix the flour, flaxseed, baking powder and 1⁄2 tsp salt together in a mixing bowl. Stir in 60g of the seed mix, plus the carrots and 100g of the cheddar.
- Beat the egg with a fork and mix with the oil and milk. Pour into the bowl and stir briefly to mix, but don't overmix.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the batter into each hole of the prepared tin, then dollop a teaspoonful of cream cheese in the centre. Spoon the rest of the batter on top, to cover the cream cheese.
- Scatter the rest of the cheddar and seeds on top of the muffins. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
These delicious savoury muffins have a surprise in their centre – cream cheese!