Watermelon layer cake
Watermelon layer cakeSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
This easy dessert is just the thing for a summer’s day – and using a ready-made cake means there’s no baking required!
- 200ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 60ml elderflower cordial
- 1 x 265g Madeira cake
- 200g watermelon flesh, sliced thinly, seeds removed
- 3 fresh figs, sliced horizontally (about 100g total)
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1½ tbsp pistachios, chopped
Whisk together the cream, icing sugar, vanilla bean paste or extract and 25ml elderflower cordial in a bowl until thickened and soft peaks form. Set aside until needed.
- Carefully slice the Madeira cake horizontally into thirds, then place the layers side by side on a board and brush with the remaining elderflower cordial.
Tip For an even easier version, cut the cake into 12 vertical slices and plate up 6 individual servings, layering up 2 slices of cake with the fruit, cream and nuts
To assemble the cake, arrange a third of the sliced watermelon and figs on top of the bottom layer of sponge, spread with a third of the cream and add a third of the pomegranate seeds and 1⁄2 tbsp chopped pistachios.
Place the middle layer of sponge on the top and repeat the toppings as before. Top with the final layer of sponge and finish with the remaining watermelon, fig slices, cream, pomegranate and pistachios. Serve immediately, cut into slices.