Lady Grey tea loaf
- 100g cut mixed peel
- 100g sultanas
- 100g dried apricots, chopped
- 300ml hot Lady Grey tea (or Earl Grey) made with 1 tea bag
- 225g self-raising flour
- seeds of 3 cardamom pods, crushed (optional)
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
Step by step
- The night before baking, put the mixed peel and dried fruit in a bowl and pour over the hot tea, adding the tea bag too. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Put the flour, a pinch of salt and the crushed cardamom (if using) in a mixing bowl. Beat together the honey and egg and then stir into the bowl along with the fruit and its soaking liquid – it will be a fairly dry mixture, more like a dough than a batter, but if you’re struggling to mix in all the flour, add a little extra tea (or milk).
Spoon into the tin and smooth down. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the top and bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean of crumbs (bits of dried fruit are fine). Turn out and cool on a wire rack.TipMake it gluten free
Substitute the flour with 225g gluten- free self-raising flour, plus 1⁄4 tsp xanthan gum. You may need a little extra liquid.