Christmas bundt cake
Serves 14 | total time
- 250g mixed dried fruit (any combination of pitted dates, raisins, dried blueberries, or other mixed dried fruits)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp grated fresh nutmeg
- ½ tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 10g desiccated coconut, plus extra for decorating
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 125g plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
For the buttercream
- 150g soft unsalted butter
- 300g icing sugar
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- sage leaves, rosemary sprigs, pistachio slivers, dried cranberries, pecans and edible gold lustre
Make the cake up to 3 days ahead; ice and decorate just before serving.
- Roughly chop any dates then mix all the fruit together and soak in 50ml hot water with all the spices, ginger and the coconut for at least 1 hour, ideally overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease a 25cm bundt tin with Lurpak® Cooking Mist.
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs gently to incorporate and add the sea salt. Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat very gently to combine. Add the soaked dried fruit mixture and mix gently to combine.
Tip You can substitute the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and ginger with 2 tsp mixed spice.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin, then turn out onto a cake stand or serving plate.
- To make the buttercream icing, whisk the butter with the icing sugar and vanilla for 2-3 minutes until smooth and evenly incorporated. You can add a further 25-50g of icing sugar to make it firmer, if you like. Pipe or spoon the buttercream over the cooled cake, and smooth with a palette knife or spoon. Sprinkle with coconut and weave sage leaves and rosemary sprigs around the top. Decorate with cranberries, pistachio slivers and pecans painted with edible gold lustre.
How to ice Lily Vanilli's Christmas bundt cake