Gluten-free banana bread
Serves 10 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 50g pitted medjool dates
- 3 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 175g goat butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g plain gluten-free flour
- a large pinch of sea salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp mild clear honey
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g walnut pieces
Make up to a few days ahead; store in an airtight tin.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- Put the dates in a small saucepan, add 75ml water and heat gently for about 10 minutes or until soft enough that you can easily mash them with a fork. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, mash the bananas with a fork and melt the goat butter. Then mash the cooled dates with a fork to make a smooth paste.
- Combine the ground almonds, gluten-free flour, sea salt and beaten eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mashed bananas, date paste, melted goat butter and honey; stir thoroughly.
- Add the lemon juice and sift in the bicarbonate of soda – then fold it in.
- Finally, fold in the walnut pieces (reserving a few to scatter on top). Transfer to the tin and scatter over the reserved walnut pieces.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin.