Watercress, bacon and chive gnocchi
Watercress is in season now, so we thought it was time to celebrate this Great British leaf. Its peppery flavour works really well in a chilled, summery soup, but the stubborn weather is refusing to warm up, so we've opted for a more hearty gnocchi recipe instead. It only takes 15 minutes to make and packs a real flavour punch.
What are your favourite watercress recipes? Tell us in the comments box below.
- 250g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 x 500g pack fresh potato gnocchi
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- ½ x 25g pack chives, finely chopped
- 1 x 75g bag watercress, chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- pecorino or parmesan shavings, to serve
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Meanwhile, cook the lardons in a frying pan for about 5 minutes until golden, stirring now and again.
- Cook the gnocchi in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes until they rise up to the surface. Take the lardons off the heat, then stir in the crème fraîche and chives.
- Drain the gnocchi and add to the frying pan. Stir in the watercress until just wilted. Season and scatter over the lemon zest and pecorino or parmesan shavings to serve.
Replace the lardons with a handful of toasted pine nuts, if you prefer.