St Patrick's Day quick Irish stew
by Sarah Alcock
If you’re having friends and family round to celebrate St Patrick’s Day on Sunday, this Irish stew is just the job for lunch. It takes no time at all to prepare and you can just leave it cooking away while you kick back and relax with a pint of Guinness.
How will you be celebrating St Patrick’s Day? Tell us in the comments box below.
- a little sunflower oil, for frying
- 300g diced lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100g pearl barley
- 500g carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 x 200g bag kale
- Heat a little oil in a casserole and brown the lamb, in batches, transferring it to a plate as you go. Set aside.
- Soften the onion in the casserole, then stir in the pearl barley and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and return the lamb to the casserole. Add the stock and thyme and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 50 minutes until the pearl barley is tender.
- Stir in the kale, cover, and let it wilt gently for 5 minutes. Season to taste.