Spring carrot soup with toasted hazelnuts and tarragon
by Stephanie Brooks
- 50g butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 100g blanched hazelnuts
- 1kg spring carrots, chopped
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon, plus a small handful of whole leaves
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- olive oil, to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and stir in the onion and garlic. Cook gently, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the hazelnuts in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in the carrots, apple, chopped tarragon and some seasoning.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then liquidise in batches using a hand blender or liquidiser.
- Reheat gently. Roughly chop the toasted hazelnuts and mix with the tarragon leaves; sprinkle the mixture over each bowl of soup. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
If you’re using young carrots, you’ll be able to get away with not peeling them.