Spiced pumpkin soup for Halloween
It's time to slip into your witch's outfit and cook up a cauldron of our spooky spiced pumpkin soup. What else will you be conjuring up to scare the ghosts away? We'd love to hear from you. Happy Halloween!
- 1 tbsp each cumin and coriander seeds
- a knob of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- a pinch of crushed dried chilli flakes
- 600g peeled and chopped pumpkin (or other squash)
- 200g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 750ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 250ml milk
- yogurt, crispy fried shallots and chopped parsley, to serve
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a small dry frying pan for about 1 minute until fragrant, then crush them with a pestle and mortar.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the chopped onion, toasted crushed spices and chilli; soften for 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, carrots and stock to the pan.
- Simmer, partially covered, for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots and pumpkin are tender.
- Remove from the heat, pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan, add the milk and reheat.
- Top with a swirl of yogurt, crispy fried shallots and chopped parsley, to serve.