Going on a picnic? Keep things simple with our do-ahead all-in-one picnic loaf - perfect to pack and go.
- 1 x 400g Taste the Difference round pain de campagne
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 75g sauerkraut in white wine, drained
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ small red onion, sliced into rings
- 5 slices of Pastrami
- 100g Emmental, thinly sliced
- 3 slices of smoked turkey or chicken
- 25g gherkins, drained and sliced
- 2 slices of honey-roast ham, cut in half
- Turn the bread on its side and slice away the top of the loaf – this will become the lid; set aside.
- Use a small knife to cut a border 1cm away from the crust edge all the way round the loaf, then use your fingers to scoop out the bread from the middle; set this aside.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the inside of the hollow loaf with half the mustard. Mix the sauerkraut with the mayonnaise and remaining mustard; season with black pepper.
- Put the onion rings in a colander in the sink and pour over a kettle of boiling water; drain.
- Layer the sandwich fillings into the hollowed-out loaf. Start with pastrami, then top with the onion, half the cheese slices, the turkey or chicken, the gherkins and sauerkraut, the remaining cheese slices and finally the ham.
- Add the bread lid and wrap tightly in clingfilm to form a compact loaf. Chill for a couple of hours or overnight, with an upturned plate on top to weigh the lid down. Bring back to room temperature, then cut into wedges to serve.
Make up to a day ahead; chill. Bring back to room temperature before serving