Pea and ham soup
If you're cooking gammon for Christmas, you're likely to have lots of lovely stock left over. Don't throw it out – it's perfect for making this simple and delicious full-flavoured soup.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 x 480g pack frozen peas
- 750ml gammon stock
- a small handful of mint leaves
- 50g cooked gammon, shredded, or streaky bacon, chopped
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan and briefly fry the shredded gammon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan and cook over a low heat until soft and translucent, stirring regularly.
- Turn up the heat, and add the peas and gammon stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and transfer half of the soup to a blender with the mint and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth then stir back into the soup in the pan.
- Serve topped with the shredded gammon or chopped streaky bacon, fried until crisp.
Serve in small shot glasses at Christmas parties for a canapé with a difference