Marathon energy food - sesame, oat and apricot bars
If you're running the London marathon this Sunday, or know someone who is, you're sure to need some high energy snacks to keep you going or to pick you up after you've passed the finish line. Even if you're just cheering from the sidelines, pack some in the picnic.
- 75g crunchy peanut butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 6 tbsp agave nectar or clear honey
- 225g virtually fat-free natural yogurt
- 15 soft dried apricots, chopped
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 225g porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. Line a 20cm square, loose-bottomed tin lined with baking paper.
- In a pan gently heat the peanut butter, sugar and agave nectar or clear honey together. When melted, stir in the yogurt, apricots, both types of seeds and the oats.
- Tip into the tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake for 30 minutes. Using a small, sharp knife, mark into 8 bars (or 16 squares) while still warm. Cool completely, then turn the bars out of the tin.