Bryony Bowie's vegetarian chilli
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
We had a record number of votes for our reader recipe competition so thank you all for voting. The winning recipe is Bryony Bowie's vegetarian chilli, which is perfect for these cold winter nights. Brrr.
Veggie chilli - serves 4-6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 mixed peppers, deseeded
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 large carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 chillies (red and green)
- 1 x 300g pack Quorn mince
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 glass red wine (about 150ml)
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tin kidney beans (or any beans you like), drained
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x 31g pack coriander, leaves and stalks chopped separately
- Tortilla wraps, soured cream and grated cheddar
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or wok. Roughly chop the onion, peppers, celery, carrot, garlic and chillies, and add to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes until softened and beginning to colour.
- Add the Quorn mince and cook for a few minutes until browned, then add the spices and a few of the chopped coriander stems and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring to prevent the spices from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the red wine, tomatoes, beans, vegetable stock and bay leaf, then give it a good stir to mix it all together.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the bay leaf, then add the coriander leaves to the pan, along with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla wraps, soured cream and a strong cheddar. You could also serve it with rice.