Angela Hartnett's zabaglione with strawberries
In our May issue, we're celebrating 20 years of the magazine and have been looking through our recipe archives for the best recipes that we have featured from some of the country's top chefs. This recipe from Angela Hartnett first appeared first appeared in Sainsbury's magazine in June 2007.
Originally extracted from Angela Hartnett's Cucina (Ebury Press, £25).
- 8-10 Doria amaretti biscuits (they need to be the crunchy rather than soft type)
- 250g strawberries
- 2 large egg yolks
- 60g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp Marsala or other sweet dessert wine
- 1 tbsp each whisky and brandy
- Put the amaretti biscuits in a bowl and roughly crush with the end of a rolling pin. Hull and halve the strawberries and set aside.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil - it should be big enough that a medium bowl (metal if possible) will sit on top without touching the water.
- Put the yolks and sugar in the bowl and, off the heat, whisk with an electric hand mixer until pale and thick. Add the wine, whisky and brandy and whisk briefly again.
- Place the bowl over the pan of boiling water and whisk for about 10 minutes until the eggs become very thick and creamy. Once the whisk leaves an indentation in the surface of the mixture, it is ready.
- Take 4 serving glasses and layer the mixture with the strawberries and crushed biscuits. Cool, then cover and chill for up to 1 hour.