Serves 8 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried curry leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 900g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp caster sugar or honey
- handful of pomegranate seeds, to serve
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
Prepare to the end of step 4 up to a day ahead; reheat to serve. The cooked pumpkin can be frozen.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and sauté for 10 minutes. Add the curry leaves, mustard and cumin seeds; fry for 1 minute. Crush the garlic and chilli to make a paste, add to the pan; stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Mix in the pumpkin; season. Reduce the heat and cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Add the lemon juice and sugar or honey; cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Mash or crush the pumpkin, adding a little water if it seems dry; season.
- Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and parsley before serving.