- 400g mixed mushrooms, such as chestnut, oyster and other exotic mushrooms
- 100g mixed baby salad leaves
- 25g shelled pistachios, chopped
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
For the tandoori marinade:
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 25g piece root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ¾ tsp hot or mild chilli powder
- 1 heaped tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3½ tbsp lemon juice
- 7 tbsp olive oil
For the dressing:
- 1½ tbsp cider vinegar, sherry or white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp Dijon mustard
Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade with about 1 teaspoon of salt. Halve the mushrooms or, if they’re large, slice into 2cm slices. I simply tear large oyster mushrooms in half. Toss in the marinade, making sure each piece is coated; leave for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the grill and whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and season. Grill the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes each side or until lightly charred.
Layer the leaves in a serving bowl with the grilled mushrooms. Drizzle over the dressing and toss well to coat. Sprinkle with the pistachios and serve with the shallots alongside for your guests to add as much or as little as they like.