Miso soup with tofu
Serves 1 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 300ml light vegetable stock or water - use vegan and gluten-free stock if required
- 50g extra-fine green beans, halved
- 40g shiitake or chestnut mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp brown miso paste (we used Yutaka)
- 100g tofu (ideally silken), diced
- 1 spring onion, sliced on the diagonal
- chopped coriander
If you want to have the miso soup as a portable lunch, omit the green beans and use a handful of spinach instead. Place all the veg, the miso and tofu in a container and store in the fridge. When ready to eat, add a mugful of boiling water, stir gently and leave to stand for a few minutes before eating.
- Bring the stock (or water) to the boil in a small saucepan, add the beans and mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes or until just tender.
- Put the miso in a small bowl and blend in a little of the stock from the pan, so that you have a smooth thin paste. If necessary, give it a quick whisk, then stir this all back into the soup base.
- Add the diced tofu to a serving bowl and ladle in the soup. Serve scattered with spring onions and coriander.