Green bean casserole
Serves 6 | prep 35 mins | total time 55 mins
- 600g green beans, trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large shallots
- 250g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 250ml soya or other dairy-free cream
- 1 heaped tsp English mustard
Prepare to the end of step 2 a few hours ahead.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Salt generously and add the green beans. Blanch for several minutes before draining into a colander. Rinse with ice-cold water and set aside until needed.
- In a small frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Finely slice the shallots and add to the pan. Fry on a medium/high heat until crispy and golden. Set aside on kitchen paper until needed. Salt lightly.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish. Add the mushrooms to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and fry for several minutes until they begin to colour and exude their juices.
- Add the rosemary to the pan along with the cayenne pepper. Stir to coat and let the mushrooms cook for a few minutes longer before adding the green beans.
- Pour over the soya cream, add the mustard, season generously and let it come to a gentle simmer before clamping on the lid, then put in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir to ensure the beans are covered in the creamy sauce.
- Sprinkle over the crispy shallots just before serving.
This twist on a retro American favourite is a super addition to the menu. If you prefer to keep the casserole a stove-top affair, let it simmer on a medium heat until the sauce thickens