Sweet potato Parmesan fries
- about 1kg sweet potatoes
- 8-10 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- a good glug of olive oil (about 4 tbsp)
- a pinch of sea salt flakes, plus extra to serve
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves stripped and roughly chopped
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Step by step
Prepare the sweet potato chips and transfer to a large resealable food bag, add the oil, seasoning and garlic, seal and chill for up to 8 hours before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes but don’t peel them (I like my chips with the skins on). Cut each potato in half lengthways, then into 1cm-thick chips.
- Smash the garlic cloves with a flat side of your knife blade, keeping the skins on.
- In a bowl, toss the chips together with the smashed garlic and the oil. Crumble in a pinch of salt and ensure the chips are well coated in the oil. Tip them onto a roasting tray and arrange them in a single layer (you may need to use 2 trays). Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Bring the chips out of the oven and carefully use a fish slice to loosen them from the tray. Sprinkle the rosemary and parmesan all over and shake the tray to combine. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes to allow the parmesan to become crispy. Serve sprinkled with sea salt flakes.