Purple sprouting broccoli tagliatelle
Purple sprouting broccoli tagliatelleSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
The arrival of PSB, as it’s often known by chefs, is a welcome addition to the list of traditional winter veg and is particularly rich in vitamin C. This pasta dish has cream and Stilton stirred through it, making it cosy and comforting for the cold winter months
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed
- 150g dried tagliatelle
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp chopped sage
- 25g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 75ml double cream
- 75g Stilton or blue Wensleydale, crumbled (use vegetarian cheese if required)
- Bring 1 medium and 1 large pan of salted water to the boil. Cut each broccoli stalk into 3 or 4 pieces, depending on size (thick stalks should be halved lengthways first). Add to the medium pan and cook for 4 minutes until tender, then drain into a colander and rinse with cold water. Add the tagliatelle to the large pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and oil in a small pan until foaming then add 1 tablespoon of the sage and the hazelnuts and cook gently, stirring, until the nuts are golden brown. Set aside.
- Add the cream, remaining sage and 50g of the blue cheese to the pan that you used for the broccoli and heat through gently, stirring to combine. Reserve a little of the pasta cooking water then drain the tagliatelle into the colander with the broccoli, which will reheat it.
- Combine the blue cheese sauce with the tagliatelle and broccoli, adding enough of the cooking water to help create a coating consistency sauce. Divide between warmed bowls, spoon the crispy sage and hazelnuts over the pasta and scatter with the rest of the blue cheese to serve.