Sesame prawn toasts
Serves 4 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 3 large slices brown bread
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2-4 tbsp vegetable oil
For the prawn topping
- 250g raw shelled King prawns, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- a dash of sesame oil
- a dash of light soy sauce
- First remove and discard the crusts from the bread, then lightly toast the slices.
- Put the prawns in a bowl along with all of the rest of the ingredients for the prawn topping, add a pinch of salt to season and combine thoroughly.
- Coat one side of each slice of toast with the prawn mixture, followed by a generous sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- Heat a large wok or frying pan over a high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and shallow-fry the toasts for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they are lightly golden and cooked through. You will probably need to do this in 2 batches, adding more oil to the wok or frying pan if necessary.
- As the toasts are ready, drain them on kitchen paper and keep warm, then cut into fingers to serve.
Chinese New Year Vines