Pea, feta and mint tart
Serves 8 | prep 30 mins | total time
For the pastry
- 225g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 125g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 25g Pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
For the filling
- 15g butter
- 3 large spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 300g frozen peas
- 200ml full-fat crème fraîche
- 100ml double cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 x 28g pack mint, leaves picked
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
The pastry case can be baked the day before.
- For the pastry, put the flour, butter and ½ teaspoon salt into a food processor and whiz until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs, or rub together by hand in a bowl. Add the Pecorino cheese and chopped thyme, then add 2-2½ tablespoons ice-cold water. Mix briefly until the pastry comes together into a ball.
- Thinly roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm (measured across the base) x 3.5cm deep loose-bottomed flan tin. Prick the base with a fork and chill for 20 minutes.
- Put a large baking sheet into the oven and preheat it to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Line the pastry case with baking paper and a thin layer of baking beans and bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges of the pastry are biscuit coloured. Remove the paper and beans and return the pastry case to the oven for 7-8 minutes until the base is golden brown. Remove and set to one side. Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5.
- For the filling, melt the butter in a small frying pan, add the spring onions, season lightly and cook for a couple of minutes until they soften. Leave to cool slightly.
- Put the peas into a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Leave for 2 minutes, until they have thawed, then drain, rinse in cold water, and dry well on a clean tea towel.
- Mix the crème fraîche, double cream and eggs together in a bowl with some salt and pepper to taste. Reserve a few small mint leaves and 1 tablespoon of the peas for garnish, then shred the rest of the mint and stir into the egg mixture with the rest of the peas, the spring onions, crumbled feta and some seasoning to taste.
- Pour the mixture into the tart case and cook for about 30-35 minutes until just set and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before serving, with the reserved peas and mint sprigs scattered on top.