Affogato chocolate fondants
Makes 6 | prep 15 mins | total time
For the puddings
- 150g unsalted butter, plus extra melted for brushing
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder, for dusting
- 175g dark chocolate
- 50ml espresso or strong black coffee
- 5 large eggs, white and yolk of 3 and yolks of 2
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour
For the espresso syrup
- 150ml espresso coffee
- 75g caster sugar
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 6 whole coffee beans, crushed
- a small handful of chocolate coffee beans
Make the espresso syrup up to 2 hours ahead. To freeze ahead, make the puddings to the end of step 3, cover each with a double layer of clingfilm and freeze for up to 4 weeks. Remove the film and bake from frozen for 18-20 minutes at 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
- Brush 6 x 175ml metal pudding basins with melted butter. Add a couple of teaspoons of cocoa to each basin and rotate to coat the inside. Repeat with the other 5 basins.
- If making straight away, preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Set aside to cool slightly. Stir in the espresso coffee.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar until pale. Beat in the cooled chocolate and butter mixture. Fold in the flour. Divide between the basins. If baking straight away, transfer to a baking tray (if freezing, see freeze ahead tip).
- Bake for 11 minutes. Meanwhile, make the syrup. Heat the espresso and sugar gently in a pan until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes until reduced but not too thick. Lay out 6 plates.
- As soon as the puddings are out of the oven, turn them out onto the plates, top each with a scoop of ice cream and crushed coffee beans. Add a few coffee bean chocolates and drizzle over the syrup. Serve immediately.