Tikka masala bean pot pies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp tikka masala spice paste - check your masala paste for any specific dietary requirements
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins beans (we used kidney beans and cannellini beans), rinsed and drained
- ½ x 30g pack coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 x 300g packs diced butternut squash and sweet potato
- 2 x 200g packs Tenderstem broccoli, trimmed
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Put the cumin seeds in a large pan and toast over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Set aside on a plate.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to the same pan, then cook the onion for 10-12 minutes over a medium-high heat until softened and turning golden. Stir occasionally. Add the garlic and tikka masala spice paste and cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes, until fragrant.TipCheck your masala paste is suitable for any specific dietary requirements.
- Tip in the tinned tomatoes, beans and 2 tablespoons of water, then simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste and stir in the chopped coriander.
- Meanwhile, pierce the squash and sweet potato packs with a small sharp knife and microwave together for 8-10 minutes, or until completely soft (or cook the veg in a steamer). Carefully empty the packs into a large bowl and mash with the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil, the toasted cumin seeds and seasoning.
- Spoon the filling into four individual pie dishes (or use 1 large dish) and top with the cumin vegetable mash, spreading it to seal the filling in around the edges. Use a fork to roughen up the surfaces and place the pie(s) on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pie top is crisp. Towards the end of cooking, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the Tenderstem for 4-5 minutes, until tender. Drain and serve with the pies.