Spicy sesame pork noodle soup
Serves 4 | total time
Spicy sesame pork noodle soupSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Serves 4 | total time
This spicy noodle soup is fragrant and comforting. Soft-boiled eggs are a common addition to Japanese ramen dishes and add a lovely richness
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 4 medium eggs
- 1½ tbsp white sesame seeds
- 900g fresh chicken stock
- 4 tbsp brown miso paste
- 820g fresh egg noodles
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 454g pork mince
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 red chillies, thinly sliced (use as much or as little as you like, depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 400g pak choi, leaves separated
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- lime wedges, to serve
- black and white sesame seeds, lightly toasted, to serve
Toast the sesame seeds up to a few hours ahead, cool and store in an airtight container.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the eggs and simmer for one minute, then remove from the heat, cover with a lid and leave for 7 minutes. Cool in a bowl of cold water, then peel and halve (the yolks should still be runny).
- Meanwhile, toast the 1½ tablespoons of white sesame seeds in a dry frying pan over a low heat until golden brown, shaking the pan occasionally. Crush in a pestle and mortar until finely ground.
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and whisk in the miso paste and crushed sesame seeds. Heat gently until piping hot (do not let it boil or the miso will be bitter).
Tip Soft-boiled eggs are a common addition to Japanese ramen dishes. They add a lovely richness to the soup.
- Put the noodles in a sieve or colander over the sink and pour over a kettle of freshly boiled water, then rinse in cold water and drain. Arrange the noodles in bowls.
- Return the frying pan to the heat, add the vegetable oil then the mince. Fry on a high heat, stirring to break up lumps, until the mince is no longer pink. Add the garlic, sliced chillies, sugar and soy sauce and fry for 2-3 minutes until the meat is cooked.
- Add the pak choi to the hot broth; simmer for 1-2 minutes or until slightly wilted. Ladle the broth and pak choi over the noodles, divide the mince between the bowls, add the sliced onion, halved eggs and lime wedges. Scatter over the black and white sesame seeds.
Tip This recipe contains partially cooked eggs.