Serves 8 with leftovers | prep 20 mins | total time
- 2.2kg smoked gammon joint
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 500ml dry cider
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Place a triple layer of extra-strong wide baking foil, large enough to enclose the gammon, in the base of a roasting tin and bring up the sides to make a foil 'dish'.
- Put the onion, spices and bay leaves on the bottom of the foil; pour the cider around. Put the gammon on top and bring the foil up around the sides, so the meat is enclosed.
- Put in the oven for 2-2 ½ hours – the centre of the meat should register 72°C on a digital thermometer.
Tip If your joint is a different weight, calculate 30 mins per 500g when pre-cooking.
- Carefully drain off the cooking liquid (you can use this to make soup) and return the ham to the roasting tin. Remove from the oven and leave to rest in its foil parcel for 10-15 minutes. Remove to a plate, along with the onions from the parcel; carve.